Chippys Food Distributors Cold distribution facility
|Client:||Chippy’s Food Distributors|
|Location:||New South Wales, Australia|
|Scope overview:||Assess a new site and deliver a new distribution centre to meet growing demands|
Fast tracked solution provides solid expansion for Chippy’s Food Distributors
Chippy’s Food Distributors began as a distributor of fresh and frozen seafood to the Sydney market. Today they have expanded into one of Sydney’s leading distributors of a comprehensive product range including frozen foods, dry goods, smallgoods and dairy products.
Wiley expanded their Marrickville site to meet rapid growth in the food service sector. The company has since expanded their distribution regions and a Penrith depot was also needed.
On the back of previous successful projects, Wiley was chosen to help Chippy’s assess a new site and deliver a new distribution centre to meet growing demands. The site has existing buildings at ground level with no fit-out for cold storage or truck loading.
Executing the work within a tight time frame between purchase of the site and operation Chippy’s insurers determined the warehouse represented a fire risk, considering the use of insulated panel for the cold rooms.
On behalf of Chippy’s, Wiley argued a number of design issues based on a risk assessment, resulting in considerable savings in capital cost to the project.
- Pre-purchase review of existing building and concept design to determine possible storage volumes, chiller/freezer configurations, truck turning on the site and loading dock requirements within the constraints of the site
- Wiley also prepared ball park budgets to assist Chippy’s in negotiating the purchase of the site
- Fire Risk Assessment of the complete facility to satisfy Chippy’s insurers.
- Design of efficient warehouse (dry and cold) layout with pallet racking, product staging and truck loading areas.
- Site management for time, cost and quality control of sub-contractors for modifications and fit-out to existing buildings.
This new facility was fast tracked with the quickest operating date to allow Chippy’s to continue to meet high customer demands in the West Sydney region. A fire risk assessment delivered a solution with suitable construction methods approved by their insurers saving Chippy’s in capital cost and premiums.