Kangaroo Pub Expo Pavillion
|Client:||World Expo 1992|
|Scope overview:||Design, fabricate, ship and erect an 1,800m2 tavern-style Australia pub for the World Expo 1992 site in Seville, Spain|
Aussie pub a hit at World Expo 1992
Wiley was contracted to design, fabricate, ship and erect an 1,800m2 tavern-style Australia pub for the World Expo 1992 site in Seville, Spain.
- Managing the local authority bureaucratic processes
- Handling the logistics of prefabricating, shipping and erecting the pub in accordance with Spanish regulations
- Achieving a short construction schedule around the constraints and work practices of the Spanish environment.
- Strategic advice to achieve a facility that balanced high durability with a design life of only six months (the duration of the Expo).
- Innovative design to achieve modularisation and efficient transport and shipping from Australia to Spain
- Provision of all building and building services design disciplines
- Detailing that allowed maximum speed and efficiency during construction assembly on site.
- Expatriate supervision by a supervisor with Spanish language capability
- Contracting and supervision of all construction subcontract packages
- Tight construction scheduling to be ready for the Expo opening.
The Kangaroo Pub was an outstanding feature of World Expo 1992, presenting an unusual mix of Australian rural heritage, lifestyle and entertainment.
This facility was highly durable but designed for a just a six-month lifespan. It was completed in time for the Expo opening and attracted patronage well in excess of expectations.