Melbourne Market Solar Canopy and Undercover Parking Expansion
|Client:||Melbourne Market Authority|
|Scope overview:||Design and construction. Create a solution to provide market users with greater protection from inclement weather during business operations.|
|Facility:||Solar canopy and undercover parking|
|Project Profile:||Download PDF|
Wiley in-house design specialists provided an alternative, environmentally sustainable and cost-saving design solution during the
tender stage; ensuring minimal disruption to operations during the construction phase and ease of maintenance in the long term. This design solution differed from the conforming bid by:
- Running services aerially, rather than in trenches
- Building roof access to the canopies via new bridges spanning from the existing building—replacing the vertical ladder access to each canopy in the conforming tender.
- A parapet design that complements the existing market facility, in place of Monowills handrail system.
The brownfield project includes:
- Six structural steel canopies spanning 2.2 hectares
- 4,332 solar panels generating 1.95-megawatt power to support
onsite energy requirements
- 8,200,000 litres of rainwater catchment capacity per year