University of Southern Queensland (USQ) Agricultural Science and Engineering Precinct
|Client:||University of Southern Queensland (USQ)|
|Location:||Toowoomba, QLD, Australia|
|Scope overview:||Design and construction of the new Agricultural Science and Engineering Precinct|
|Facility:||Agricultural Science and Engineering Precinct|
|Project Profile:||Download PDF|
To meet global demands, the world is heavily dependent on growing new foods and harnessing more efficient and effective cropping innovation. This project provides an environment for ongoing research into disease and drought-resistant crops.
The new, high quality Agricultural Science and Engineering Precinct (ASEP) provides:
- A stimulating teaching environment in the areas of agricultural science and engineering
- A new home for the University’s Centre for Crop Health
- Expansion of the field trial and laboratory facilities.
Funded by USQ, with significant co-investment from the Grains Research Development Corporation (GRDC), the precinct will build on the University’s internationally acclaimed reputation for crop science.
The project includes environmentally controlled glasshouses, laboratories, outdoor trial sites and a centre for the study of biopesticides. To help with water retention and long-term irrigation supply, the construction of a dam was incorporated.
The precinct gives researchers the ability to undertake trials, using new technologies involving machine-vision sensing and robotics. Students will be able to undertake specialist activities, adding to research into crop production, harvesting and yield outputs. The facility will allow students to provide growers with more accurate information, for improved crop returns on their farming methods.
Wiley delivered the design and construction of the new Agricultural Science and Engineering Precinct including:
- Controlled Environment Rooms (CER)
- Re-purposing of the Cedar Centre into a research and education hub for scientists and postgraduate students
- New PC2 Clean Laboratory and new Head House Laboratory
- New glasshouses and associated external civil and infrastructure
- Additional administration spaces and carparking
- HV electrical upgrade